This duck moved into my grandmother's yard last week while she lay dying. In the 40+ years that she and my grandfather have lived there, never has a duck resided on their patio. We all took great delight in this feathered friend who made himself right at home among my grandmother's plants. He was a wonderful distraction and we all smiled at the beautiful tribute he was for her final days. Many of the caregivers read all sorts of signs into the duck's presence but I merely took as one of those funny, little things that the Lord orchestrates sometimes. Early Friday morning, I was staying over at my grandmother's house and I was awakened to the caregiver calling for me, she sounded very distressed. I jumped out of bed to help in whatever way I could, only for her to take me towards the front of the house--towards the duck. She kept saying, "I think he's dead. I think he's dead." Sure enough as I stood looking out the large picture window, the duck was indeed dead. Here I was, expecting death at any minute, only to find it in an unexpected corner. I wanted to laugh. In my heart, I had a good chuckle over this poor bird's death, but the caregiver was really shaken by it and I didn't think my twisted humor would be appreciated.
I do not understand why the Lord brought the duck or why it died a few hours before my grandmother, but personally, I enjoyed it being a part of that week. I enjoyed it being a part of that process.
No comments:
Post a Comment