Wednesday, December 19, 2012

It's about the process, right?



Motherhood is all about letting go, or at least for me it is.  Your life and plans no longer look quite the way you envisioned.  Most of the changes are for the better but for people who like to have control (ahem, you don't need to start pointing fingers), it can be difficult to watch your day unravel.  I confess that most days I do NOT go along with the natural flow our lives take as I continue to resist the forces at work, but I think that it is really important for our children to have times where they can create freely and enjoy an experience without us adults stomping all over it.  
(I know you have no idea what I'm talking about....I'll get to the point.)

Today, I had some leftover dipping chocolate and a half eaten bag of pretzels and decided that I would let the boys dip the pretzels and put sprinkles on them as a fun Christmas project and yummy treat.  I set the boys up and then let them go about creating a mess!  I was doing well not micromanaging until I spotted Eli pre-licking a pretzel before dipping it in the chocolate.  I immediately yelled out "No!" followed quickly by an explanation.  He didn't hear past my explosive 'no' but dissolved into tears and disappointment.  As I tried to fix the damage my response had done, I realized from his viewpoint he had been happily plugging along doing something super fun without restrictions or fear and I jumped in and ruined the moment for him.  I hate that I did that.  After offering him comfort and an apology I again stepped back and made two resolutions.
1.  I was not going to look over again at how they were dipping the pretzels.
AND
2.  I was also not going to eat any of them! (I recommend you do the same!!)





1 comment:

Brent Timmons said...

By any chance did the boys help make that chili you served us at your house the other day?