Friday, January 22, 2010

Confession

I have a 3 year 1 month old boy who, as of Tuesday, was totally and completely NOT potty trained! For those of you wonderful parents who accomplish this task long before your child's third birthday I commend you. But for us....

I have heard over the years, both as a parent and when I worked with children, that when your child is ready potty training is very easy, no struggle. So I have been plugging along waiting for Zach to be ready.

He's not.

He continues to poop and pee in diapers (both disposable and cloth) and then he hates to be changed. So on Wednesday when Zach awakened there were no more diapers.

We are now on day 3 of potty training and I hate to brag but MY training is coming along nicely. Wednesday we had lots of accidents because I didn't realize I should set a timer to make sure we are trying often. But yesterday I learned this little trick and Zach only had 2 accidents all day. I went to bed thinking that perhaps I'm not accomplishing anything because Zach is only going to the bathroom because I bring him every 15-30 minutes. This morning I have continued to set the timer but today I am only asking him if he has to go potty when the timer goes off. So far he has said, "no" every time, however, one time after I walked away from asking he ran into the bathroom and started pulling down his pants! Perhaps all my dancing, chanting and candy giving is working after all?!? If it does I will kick myself for not trying it sooner.

No comments: